David’s practice is focused on complex commercial litigation, fraud, and securities litigation. He has acted on some of the largest civil fraud claims in Ontario and has extensive experience managing complex litigation involving large volumes of documentary disclosure and multiple parties. David takes a long range, strategic approach to litigation, and has a proven track record of obtaining results for his clients.
David has successfully defended clients at trial in claims involving tens of millions of dollars in dispute. He has successfully brought complex claims to trial, and has successfully defended clients in class action litigation. David appears regularly before the Superior Court and Court of Appeal for Ontario and has appeared before the Supreme Court of Canada. He is a dedicated advocate who is committed to the highest standards of ethics, expertise and client service in his practice.
David has extensive overseas business experience and brings solid business judgment to his clients’ litigation matters. David articled at a major Bay Street law firm.
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.M
- McGill University, B.C.L, LL.B
- McGill University, B.A.
David graduated with a First Class Honours B.A. in History and Political Science from McGill University and obtained Civil and Common Law degrees with Distinction, also from McGill University. He placed second overall in Canada in the country’s largest advocacy competition, the Phillip. C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition. David holds a Master of Laws from Osgoode Hall Law School in Civil Litigation and Dispute Resolution and has lectured on class actions at the McGill University Faculty of Law.
David is also a designated Certified Fraud Examiner with the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners.
- Successful Class Action Defence
- Successful Summary Judgment to Enforce Share Put Right (Upheld by Court of Appeal for Ontario)
- Successful Trial Defence in $20 Million Fraud Claim
- Successful Trial against Foreign Exchange Dealer
- “Corporate Identification, New Uses for an Old Doctrine”, Feature Article, Summer 2019 edition Advocates’ Journal
- Certification of Class Actions in Ontario, BCF Class Action NetLetter, November 1, 2020 – Issue 23
- Ontario Bar Association, Civil Litigation Insider, November 2020
- Co-chair, Ontario Bar Association, Your First Civil Trial, March 6, 2020
- Presenter, Osgoode Hall Law School, Professional Development, Civil Litigator’s Survival Guide to Evidence Program, November 6, 2020